Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Not-So Indelible Egg

The Not-So Indelible Egg
Indelible: (adj.) cannot be removed, washed away or erased; "an indelible stain"

While cradled in the arms of Morpheus (the only man with whom I'm sharing my bed these days) Sunday morning, I was suddenly called to my door by the elderly Filipino woman who lives next door. She was letting me know that during the night, someone had egged my apartment door. If only they'd had some bacon and toast to heave upon me as well, I could have had a nice breakfast....

I called the police for the umpteenth time, as in the past month someone has attempted to break into my apartment more than once, as well as my neighbor's apartment, vandalized her garden, stole her plants, and (on another occasion) your "friendly" neighborhood punk attempted to con his way into her home last week by attempting to convince her that he was sent by someone she knows (all she had to do was open the door just in the slightest and let him hand her his cell phone.) But she was smarter than that young wolf....not by the hair of her chinny chin chin…that's what she said (well, not really).

So the first thing I did was collect the egg shells that had fallen on my doorsill, then cleaned the yolk from my door. As I knelt down on my knees in front of my door cleaning and wondering just why that doorknob dangling in my face (being all knobby as doorknobs are won't to do) wasn't a different kind of knob, I began thinking about how similar the word yolk and yoke sounded. With the sincere belief that the universe is always trying to communicate with us, to teach us something about ourselves, others, and the world we live in I decided to explore this further. 

A search of Webster's online dictionary yields several definitions:

Noun

  1. Fabric comprising a fitted part at the top of a garment.
  2. Two items of the same kind.
  3. Support consisting of a wooden frame across the shoulders that enables a person to carry buckets hanging from each end.
  4. Connection between two things so they move together.
  5. Stable gear that joins two draft animals at the neck so they can work together.
Verb

  1. Become joined or linked together.
  2. Link with or as with a yoke; "yoke the oxen together".
  3. Put a yoke on; join with a yoke; of draft animals; "Yoke the draft horses together".
The underlying theme, given these definitions, seems to be a joining or a link between two things. Taking this further, I questioned to what did this egg link me? The person who threw it at my door? Perpetrator and victim. Another definition of the word yoke is 'two of the same kind'. It has often been said that we hate in others, that which we see in ourselves. So, what was it about me, or my home that this person hated? What was lacking in this person's soul, the he or she thought could be filled with an act of desecration (see below.
It's interesting to note, that not only was my home desecrated, but all the apartments in my building that ended in 04. According to Numerology, 4 is the number of foundation. It is a number of law and order, but also home and family (for this is often where we learn our morality). 

So it seems, at least by my weird logic, that the universe has painted a picture of this perpe(traitor) as someone with a deep hatred for home and stability, a lover of chaos and rebellion…. There but by the grace of god(dess) go I….
Desecration, that's another good word. The act of depriving something of its sacred character. My home is my temple, it was not vandalized, it was desecrated and needed to be made (w)hole(y) again. To begin, I filled a clear basin with water and added to it the following:

3 tablespoons rosemary
to remove the negative energies of the act of desecration
3 tablespoons sage
to bring blessings to my door
3 drops of clove oil
to drive away hostile forces

I anointed a plain white candle with clove oil and rolled it in a mixture or rosemary and sage, then held the candle over the prepared water and recited Psalm 61 three times. Next, I took the basin of prepared water and to my front door and washed it from the top down to the bottom with a clean white cloth while reciting Psalm 61 three times. Finally, I carried the basin of water to a tree outside the back of my apartment faced West with the basin of water before me. I recited Psalm 61 three times, then threw the water over my left shoulder and returned inside my home without looking back. 

And how was YOUR weekend?

Carolina Dean

No comments: