How to Devise a
1. Identify your issue or problem- Magick should not be performed just for the sake of magick. There should be a real need or a powerful drive behind a spell. Without these, you are simply wasting your energy and resources, and in all likelihood, your spell will fail.
2. Set your goal- Once you have identified it, you need to decide how you want to address your issue or problem. For example, if you require a new car it would be best to work to draw the best car for you rather than work for a financial windfall that will allow you to purchase a car.
3. Consider Mundane Actions- Once you have determined your goal, consider what mundane actions you can take that will help you achieve your goal. As in the example above, you need a car, you may be able to ask for a raise at work, for additional hours, or take a part-time job to augment your income.
4. Determine your mode of magick- Magick is a powerful tool and it can bring about amazing changes, but you need to be realistic. The mode, or form, of your magick should match the severity of consistency of your problem. Magick takes time and the bigger or more severe the issue of problem, the longer it may take to accomplish your goal. If you are attempting to address an issue that has been a consistent problem in your life, a resolution may require a series of workings performed over a longer period of time. Alternately, if you are dealing with an issue that is relatively new, or minor, the amount of magick you use to address it may be far less.
Major Magicks are defined as those modes of magick which are much more complicated than Minor Magicks and often require a great deal of study, practice, and experimentation in order to accomplish satisfactory results. These include Herbs, Potions, Runes, Sympathetic, Talismans, Mojo Bags, and Tarot magick.
Minor Magicks are those modes of magick which are simple and do not require a great deal of study or skill to accomplish. Minor Magicks include Amulets, Candle Magick, the use of Cords, the Elements, Petitions, and the use of Gems, Stones, and Metals.
Consider that spells are not always hit-or-miss, there are degrees of success. A spell may not bring about your goal, but it may bring you closer to your goal. 5. Choose or write an appropriate spell- Once you have chosen the appropriate magickal application for your need, you need to determine the natural correspondences that you will want to utilize. Natural correspondences are defined as “those things occurring in nature which relate to our goals in a direct manner. These correspondences include color, shape, sound, numbers, herbs, incense, gems, elements, animal energies, deity energy, the energy of the cardinal points, the winds, etc…”
5. Choose or write an appropriate spell- Once you have chosen the appropriate magickal application for your need, you need to determine the natural correspondences that you will want to utilize. Natural correspondences are defined as “those things occurring in nature which relate to our goals in a direct manner. These correspondences include color, shape, sound, numbers, herbs, incense, gems, elements, animal energies, deity energy, the energy of the cardinal points, the winds, etc…”
For example, if you are doing a spell to attract a lover into you life you will have to determine the color of the candle, it’s shape, the oils that you will use, the herbs that you will use (if any), whether you will set the candle to burn for one day, or over a period of days. If you are new to the craft, spells written by others are a good way to start practicing magick. However, once you learn the basics of spell casting, you should write and perform your own spells as they will be more powerful and better attuned to your goal.
6. Check your Astrological Correspondences- Now that you have either chosen or written your spell, you must now determine when you will perform the working. The term astrological correspondences refer to the exact window of time one should cast a spell or perform a working ritual in order to reap maximum benefits and ensure a more successful result. The correspondences work on the principle that certain energies of the Sun, Moon, and Planets are in sympathy with one’s goal.
For example, the New Moon is for fresh starts and new beginnings and Friday is associated with Venus, the planet of love; therefore, a spell to draw a new unknown lover to yourself would best be performed on a New Moon on a Friday, in the hour of Venus (see Planetary Hours)
Other considerations include the sign of the zodiac the moon occupies at any given time. As in the example above, Leo rules the area of love, but Libra rules marriage and partnerships, so you would have to determine which correspondence is more in alignment with your goal. One cannot always perform a spell during the correct moon phase, day, and hour, so we try to get at least the proper Phase and Day.
It is also best to plan ahead and determine alternative times to cast your spell if something occurs that will prevent you from performing your working.
7. Perform a Divination- Now that you have determined when you will cast your spell, it is best to stop and re-asses your plans. Spells can often have unforeseen consequences and so witches often consult a divination tool such as the Tarot, Runes, or Astrology to ensure that they are on the right path. A good reading can pinpoint flaws in your plans, and suggest ways in which to improve your chances of success.
Another thing to consider is if the spell or working is in accordance with your will, that is, is it correct for you. Sometimes Spirit will allow us to fail in order to teach us a lesson, other times Spirit will intervene on our behalf because we don’t really need what we are asking for, even though we think we do. We don’t always see the ‘big picture’ but Spirit knows what we are capable of and can guide us to more appropriate activities through our divinations.
8. Gather you equipment and materials- If you have performed your divination and have gotten the go ahead, then it is time to gather your materials, such as candles, herbs, oils, etc... If you cannot obtain the materials needed before it is time to cast your spell, consider substitutions, or write a new spell. If you write a new spell, be sure to perform a divination again. Make adjustments as necessary.
9. Rehearse your working - Once you have gathered all your materials, it is best to do a dry run, that is, take some time to relax and go-through-the-motions so that you know exactly what to expect when it comes time to actually perform the ritual. Sometimes things that work in our minds, don’t exactly work the way we expected it to in practice. Make adjustments if necessary.
10. Perform your working- At least an hour before the pre-determined time, set up your working space, and double check that you have everything that you will need. At least 30 minutes before the pre-determined time, go over your notes one more time. Finally, perform your working at the pre-determined time.
11. Dispose of ritual remains- At the conclusion of your spell it is customary to dispose of your ritual remains in a respectful manner. Different traditions prescribe different methods of disposal, but they are generally dependant upon the objective of your spell. A good rule of thumb is that if you are working to draw something towards yourself bury the ritual remains (candle wax, herbs, etc…) near your front door, or alternately wrap them up in a special cloth and keep them in a safe place until your goal manifests at which time they are burned. If you are attempting to move something away from yourself, bury the ritual remains off of your property, at the center of a crossroads, or in running water.
12. Watching and waiting for signs- Witches are often told to ‘do your work, then forget about it,’ what this mean is that what you dwell on inwardly, you manifest outwardly. If you are overly concerned with your spell’s outcome, you can actually block its success. Instead it is suggested that you program your mind with affirmations and visualizations which reinforce your goal. However, don’t focus on the how of the spell, that is how it will manifest, just have faith that it will manifest.
That being said, it should be understood that the Universe is communicating with us at all times. Spirit will send us signs and omens about our work and usually within three days of completing your spell or working. It may come in a dream, it may come by something random you read, or even something someone says to you or near you. This information will let you know if your work will succeed of fail.
For example, you perform a spell for a new car and later you see a billboard with a picture of a new car on it and a headline that reads “Your car is ready when you are.” That would be a good sign. Now lets say that you turn on your radio and the song “Just What I Needed” by The Cars is playing—that would be another good sign.
Now lets say you’re shopping for groceries and someone near you is talking on the phone. They say that someone who has the same first name as you got their car repossessed, or totaled their car in an accident. That would be a bad sign.
For more information about these various topics please refer to my online Book of Shadows at http://www.freewebs.com/shadowmane.
Carolina Dean :)~