Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To Curse or not to Curse

An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

---Anonymous

Given what was done to me by my erstwhile co-workers and the company I previously worked for many people may wonder why I don't use magick to get back at my enemies to hurt them as they've hurt me, to destroy them and ruin their lives as my own life has been thrown into upheaval.

Destroying others, especially through the use of magick, is not the basis for living a life of peace and enlightened spirituality. In the religion of Wicca there is but one main guide that most, but not all, Wiccans choose to adhere to, that is The Wiccan Rede. There are many versions of the Wiccan Rede, but the one that is most often cited goes...

"An it harm none, do what you will."

Stated most simply, what this means is that you can do anything that you want so long as you don’t hurt anyone (including yourself). However, as witches we understand that not everyone (even other Wiccans) will subscribe to the same philosophy, nor will they always have our best interests in mind. This is not to say that there are times when it is appropriate to use magick to hurt others and I can fully understand such times when a person may succumb to the temptation to invoke dark forces to hurt others.

For example, as a parent we love our children and want only the best for them; sometimes along the way they get hurt. Sometimes it may be a bully and rather than cast a spell to bind or hurt the bully, we teach our children to talk to a teacher about the bully, or teach him/her how to defend him/herself. On the other hand, if someone were to kidnap and rape your child, then through some legal loophole they are allowed to escape justice, I don’t think anyone would blame you for anything that you do to punish this individual.

It is up to the individual to make this distinction for themselves as to when to curse or not to curse. There are witches who choose never to use black magick, and there are others that are willing to throw a curse at the drop of a hat (or a dollar, for that matter). What I can tell you is that, in my experience, the more spiritual a person and the more closely connected to the divine a person is the less likely they are to curse another. In fact, the more enlightened a person is, the less likely they are to use magick at all!

When you work in harmony with the universe and understand the manner in which it works, the universe will unfold before you in the exact manner in which you expect it to manifest! Wise witches understand that there are great forces working around us all the time and that those who would destroy without cause will ultimately be swallowed by their own karma.

Carolina Dean

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely!
Blessings (never cursings),
Sandy

Carolina Dean said...

Blessings to you as well! How's your eye doing?

Carolina Dean

Anonymous said...

My eye is just about back to normal except for the loss of a few lower lashes and a small bit of watering. I think I'll venture out to the pool tomorrow if I can find the time in the afternoon. The kids and I are CLEANING one room at a time and it's very time consuming, but tomorrow we need to do an all-over general cleaning. Then Monday we will start the kitchen and all of the cupboards ... what fun!

This weekend I hope to do a lot of reading. Big plans right? What days do you work? Do you get more than one day off at a time?

Talk later, blessings & a smile,
Sandy

Carolina Dean said...

I'm glad to hear that you eye is doing better. I was off yesterday and today, I work 8-4 tomorrow then I'm off again for the weekend. YIPPY

Have a great time at the pool tomorrow and wear sunscreen. I posted something about reducing debt as per your request. I hope this is helpful to you.

Carolina Dean