At the core of the world's major religions is the belief in the continuing existence of the soul following the physical body. However, what happens to that soul afterwards is where many religions disagree, and that is the subject of another topic of discussion. Although the terms have become interchangeable, a ghost and a spirit is not the same. A Ghost is the soul of a human being that for any number of reasons remains Earth bound. These reasons commonly include.
- They have unfinished business, something that they feel needs to be completed before they can move on.
- They don't know that they are dead, from their perspective they are simply going about their business.
- They are Earth bound by a grieving loves one who refuses to let them move on.
Ghosts can be classified as Nurturer, Trickster, Abuser, and Echo. The Nurturer is the 'friendly-ghost'. They are always harmless, even protective of those in thier enviroment and those who reside within it. Many people find it comforting to share their space with these entities.
The Trickster may or may not be harmless, due to your temperament. Normally, the Trickster will not perform pranks which are deadly, just inconvenient, such as hiding your car keys or diabling your alarm clock, making you late for work. Some people are easily disturbed by these events, while others think it makes life more interesting and could not be bothered.
The Abuser is always harmful, often violently so. They will often leave marks of their attack on their victim, such as claw or bite marks, bruises, etc... Abusers represent the worst kind of ghostly encounter, and they have been known to commit murder.
While not considered a true ghost, an Echo occurs when a person' death is so traumatic that the event imprints itself onto the enviroment, much like recording a song from the radio onto a tape. When triggered by certain events or emotions, usually those similiar to the original event, the Echo then replays itself, similiar to a time loop.
Many spiritual traditions have their own methods of helping a Ghost to move on, or of banishing a negative entity. Some of these methods include:
- Acknowledging its presence, talking to it from within the
Magick Circleand convincing it to move on.
- Religious Blessing/Banishing: A blessing is performed by religous clergy gently sending the ghost off the Earth plane; however, if this does not occur, then it is forcibly sent off the Earth plane with a banishing ritual or a series of rituals.
- A grieving person must be convinced that they are doing their loved one more harm than good by holding on too tightly, and that only be allowing the loved on to move on will each of them find peace.
A Basic Guide to Hunting Ghosts
Dowsing rod, compass, Video-Camera, Still-Camera, Tape Recorder, Pendulum, pen and paper.
Old graveyards, battlefields, historic sites, murder sites, etc...
Keep the number of visitors to a minimum. Dowse for "hot spots" and record all activity on video, photo, and tape.
This can be placed on a grid and a pendulum used to dowse for potential "hot spots" and mark active areas.
Verify or disprove any and all information gathered during your investigation. This is done afterward so as not to unduly influence the investigation at that scene.
Note: Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) is the process by which disembodied voices are captured on tape. These voices are believed to be that of the dead, who are attempting to communicate with the living. To experience EVP simply place a tape recorder to record in an empty room. Later, go back and play the tape and listen closely for short phrases and single words. It may take several attempts before you achieve any results.