Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Getting Winning Lottery Numbers


I want to share a story with you....

In mid 2004 I lost my job when the cotton mills shut down and eventually lost my home as well. I moved to Beaufort South Carolina to live with an old friend from High School and her husband who was stationed at the Naval Base. Beaufort is famous in the history of Hoodoo for being associated with Dr. Buzzard and High Sheriff J.E. McTeer. It is also very close to Daufuskie Island, the home of the Gullah People.

Within a week I was hired as the In-Store-Coordinator at the Winn Dixie up on Robert Smalls Parkway. What this means is when you came into the store to purchase lottery tickets, cigarettes, or wire money I was the person who handled your transaction. Every day, these little old ladies would come in to buy their lottery tickets with their little dream books in tow. They'd all crowd around the machine and listen intently as each others conversation. They would share their dreams and compare numbers. After they got to know me a little bit (they had to know who I was and who my people were and were very interested in the fact that I am part Jewish by heritage) they starting asking me about my dreams.

Well, at the time I was seeing raccoons everywhere. I went to the hospital for my drug test, there was a picture of a raccoon behind the desk, I dreamed about raccoons, driving home from work late one night I saw a few raccoons in people's trash, I'd turn on the television and there was a raccoon on a commercial. So I told this one woman about how I was seeing raccoons everywhere. She looked up raccoon in her little dream book and starting filling out her card. While she was doing that she asked me why I thought I was seeing raccoons everyone.

I then told her how before I moved to Beaufort I had been friends with a woman (who is a witch) who owned a pet raccoon. That raccoon would snap at my feet, and jump on my head in her car and bit my scalp and make me bleed. I hated that raccoon and she knew it. This customer told me if I gave her a good number, I won't see no more 'coons. She meant it too, and we shook hands on it. Well, I'll be damned if her number didn't come up and I've never seen another raccoon again!

So after this exchange, she kinda warmed up to me and starting sharing things with me. I didn't want to explain to her that I was Wiccan, I just told her I was interested in magic and such. So I asked her how she usually got her numbers and this is what she told me...

Write the name of someone you know nine times on a piece of paper. Place the paper upside down in a glass of water and place it under your bed. The person will give you a number. Another woman with her at the time then spoke up and told me that whenever somebody gives you a number you are supposed to play that same number every day for 7 days. Even if you win on the first day, play that same number for six more days cause if that lucky number comes up once, it's bound to come up again.

On my lunch break I wrote down what they told me on a napkin and later transferred this information to my journal. It was here that I learned to pay attention to people when the took their money out out of their pockets. I can't tell you how many times a customer pulled a handful of change out of their pocket along with a buckeye, or kissed their money before giving it to me. The Winn-Dixie closed in August 2005 when they filed for bankruptcy, and I've since moved the Pacific Northwest.


Carolina Dean

3 comments:

graciela said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joannah

http://windscreensite.com

Kraxpelax said...

Personal announcement!

Forgive me not being exactly the Shy Guy, but I sincerely do feel I have something important to say.

http://winmir.blogspot.com/

Stay cool, it's heavy stuff.

Best wishes,
Peter Ingestad, Sweden

Carolina Dean said...

Thanks both of you for your comments. I am so sorry that it took me so long to reply. I recently changes some setting on this blog and forgot to update where to forward comments.

So I'm going through my blog now, looking for all the comments I've missed.

Thanks again,

carolina dean