Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hoodoo Correspondence Course


Since I mentioned in one of my previous blog entries and my email blast to members of my website that I was finishing up a correspondence course in the Hoodoo Tradition which I began in 2003, I've recieved several emails inquiring about this course.

First let me say that it is a year long course and that the reason it has taken me so long to complete it is that right after I began receiving the weekly lessons, I lost my job, and later my home, and finally I moved a few times. My computer was put in storage and later found to be broken due to water damage. I moved on with my life and forgot all about the course.

About a month ago, Cat Yronwode (owner and proprieter of the Lucky Mojo Curio Company and author of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic) somehow found her way to my website and contacted me to encourage me to finish what I started; which is why I'm finishing the homework after six years.

When Cat first offerd the course, it was open to everyone. However since that time she has now placed certain restrictions on who can and can not take the course, due to the fact that so many people signed up for the course and failed to do the required homework.

As she states, in part, on her website

"I want to teach people who are stable, mature, patient, intelligent, and qualified to learn. The only way i can decide who has what it takes to study with me is to become familiar with them, understand where they're coming from, see if they like our kind of spiritual goods, help them do some work on their own, and then, if they still want to take the course, i will gladly accept them as students, and i will be pretty sure that my teaching efforts will be directed toward folks who will really benefit from the effort i put into the course, the Yahoo group, and the grading of homework."

So if you really want to take the course you are going to have to take the time to shop at Lucky Mojo, perhaps join her forum, and show her that you are are acceptable student. In addition, Cat has established a yahoo group for past and present students to commiserate share ideas, and ask questions.

In the mean time, I'd suggest that you review the homework page to get an idea of the assignments that you will be expected to complete in order to graduate. In addition I'd also suggest that you purchase her book Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic. Even if you don't take the course, but are still interested in the practice of Hoodoo, this tome will prove an invaluable resource.

Carolina Dean


No comments: