Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

No Rest for the Wiccan


I've been away for a bit concentrating on completing my assignments for the Hoodoo Correspondence Course. As a result, while studying this tradition I've totally immersed myself in it's practice, having put away my Wiccan altar and not observed any Esbats, Sabbats, or performed my regular devotions.

I am now happy to say that I have completed all of my homework, all that needs to be done is to pack it up and ship it off and wait to see if I graduate; which I'll be doing that this week. Wish me luck!

I've been keeping notes about some things I want to write about and will begin posting tomorrow. For now, I'd like to share two stories with you all, you'll find them in the links below.

In an earlier blog I mentioned the plight of Smiley, a dog who had been deemed too violent to live and had been scheduled to be put down. A couple of dog lovers interevened and filed a lawsuit to prevent Smiley's death, and while the trial ensued Smiley disappeared from the kennel. Now, it seems that Smiley has been found. Read the story here.

The Second story concerns the living history of the Women's Airforce Service Pilots, or WASPs. You may already know that during WW II there was a shortage of male pilots and the government had to depend on the country's female population to fill these positions.

However what you may not know is that

  1. Of the more than 1000 women who recieved training to become Airforce Pilots only 300 of them earned their wings.
  2. None of these brave women were ever recognized by the federal governement for their service to their country.
  3. Thirty-eight women died in the line of duty, but their own families had to provide burial services for these fallen.
  4. When the war ended and the government felt they had no more use for the WASPs, the women had to pay for their own way home.

U.S. Senator Patty Murray (WA) has co-sponsered a bill to award the Congressional Gold Medal to all 1102 pilots or their surviving family members.


Carolina Dean

2 comments:

Dr. E. said...

Definitely get your homework in buddy. It makes all the difference to finish it up and be able to rightfully state that you're a graduate. :-)

Carolina Dean said...

I'm just waiting on my power bill to come in, just to make sure I have enough $$$ to mail in my homework.

Dean