Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Carolina Dean's Birthday Ritual




First I'd like to thank everyone who has wished me a happy birthday, you've all made this a very special one with your well wishes and good cheer.

Now, as to my ritual. I've been doing this for the past five years or so. It began with me doing this for the baby, and then I began doing this for myself.

I always purchase the numerical candles that reflect my age and make my wish as I light them, not when blowing them out. Once the candle have been allowed to burn for a brief time, i use a small birthday candle to hold the flame and pinch out the flames of the numerical candles.

The numerical candles are then transplanted onto a saucer and relit where they are allowed to burn down in their own time. When this is done, I inspect the wax for signs of what may transpire for me in the coming year. Sometimes I look upon the symbols I find as indicative of the theme for the coming year, the lessons I will face, and challenges I must overcome.

Later, I always leave a slice of my birthday cake by my front door as an offering to benevolent spirits that they may bring me good luck in the coming year.


Carolina Dean

1 comment:

Cordelia said...

I love this! I have a birthday ritual too. I'll have to post it next week for my celebration! Blessings and best wishes for a wonderful year ahead!