Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Devotion of the Witch's Pyramid


I came to my blog to approve a comment on an older post earlier this morning and I noticed that I had posted only one blog for the entire month of March! Looking back over the last few weeks I realize how much I've gotten away from some of my daily practices such as writing, devotions, and even observing the Esbats and Sabbats.

My energy wanes in the Winter months, so it is not unusual for me to be less active; but this past few months have also been particular stressful with me dealing with work issues, trying to get my car fixed (I've been having problems with that thing for almost a year), and getting my group organized.

Now, with Spring upon us my energy is returning and I can see balance in the distance drawing ever closer. So in the next few days I want to (re)explore some of the ways that we as Wiccans/Pagans/Witches can connect with the Divine. One of the ways that we can connect with Spirit is through the use of Devotions.

Devotions are brief rituals performed throughout the day in order to reconnect and/or commune with Spirit. The most common times to perform devotions are:
  • Upon rising
  • Noon
  • Sunset
  • Before sleep
  • Before meals
  • Before a magickal working
  • Before a Ritual

Whereas it may not be possible for anyone to spend a great deal of time on performing devotions each day, it can be done. Devotions should not be rushed. Although some are quite brief, they must include enough time for you to ground and center, perform the devotion, then ground and center again.

In performing your devotions, it is important to remember that you are controlling the energies around you and are not to use your own energies. Devotions should always raise your energy level and leave you feeling refreshed.

Today I want to share a devotion I wrote as part of a class in Advanced Wicca. The assignment was the write our own version of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP) and perform it over the course of one Moon cycle and then write about our experiences.

I chose to write a version of the LBRP based on the Witches Pyramid, which is also known as the Four Powers of the Magus. Rather than explain the Witches Pyramid to you, I'll let you do your own research (today's witches just seem to want everything handed to them). However, I will share a brief poem I wrote that may prove insightful.


The Witches Pyramid

The Witches Pyramid is made of four sides,

within it free will and love abides;

a witch does all things from a place of love,

in the names of the Lord and Lady above.


As a witch you are adjured to know,

for through knowledge is power bestowed;

and to thine own self be true,

in every thought, word, and deed you do.


You must also strive to dare,

for inaction brings nothing to bare;

and from the yoke of your fears break,

that you may always control your fate.


You must learn to will,

that you may all your desires fulfill;

and by right of your spark divine,

your way to your true will find.


And finally, you must silent keep,

for what you sow, you’ll surely reap;

and power gained by deviltry,

is wisdom’s bitter enemy.


Devotion of the Witches Pyramid

This ritual accomplishes the same purpose as that of Casting the Circle and Calling the Quarters, and can be performed prior to workings of magick, meditations, path-working, or devotions. In addition, it can be performed as a devotion in and of itself.


To begin, face East, touch your forehead and say, "To Know."

Touch your solar plexus and say, "To Dare."

Touch your right shoulder and say, "To Will."

Touch your left shoulder and say, "To Keep Silent."

Bring your hands together as in prayer and say, "Love is the Law, Love Under Will."


Facing East, use your athame and draw an invoking pentagram in the air and say, "Air."

Draw a line to the South, draw an invoking pentagram in the air and say, "Fire."

Draw a line to the West, draw an invoking pentagram in the air and say, "Water."

Draw a line to the North, draw an invoking pentagram in the air and say, "Earth."


Face East again, ground and center, then say:


"Before the Winds of Knowledge

Behind me the Springs of Eternal Love

On my right hand the Flames of Power

On my left hand the Mountains of Manifestation

For about me flames the pentagrams

and within me shines the light of God"


To begin, face East, touch your forehead and say, "To Know."

Touch your solar plexus and say, "To Dare."

Touch your right shoulder and say, "To Will."

Touch your left shoulder and say, "To Keep Silent."

Bring your hands together as in prayer and say, "Love is the Law, Love Under Will."


Carolina Dean


No comments: