Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Island Life: A Knot in Thyme

Even though I've lived on Whidbey Island for a little more than four years now, I've never had the opportunity to explore everything that it has to offer. However, this past weekend, I finally had the opportunity to take a whole day with a friend who took me around Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands searching out crystal shops, obscure book stores, and family farms. 

Today I'd like to share my experience visiting A Knot in Thyme a beautiful Holly Farm and Lavender Garden located at 4233 Degraff Rd. Oak Harbor, WA. The farm has been described as 

"...a working horticulture family farm comprised of a 75+ year old holly orchard and an ever-expanding selection of specialty gardens. The Quilted Garden is an intricate pattern of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers; The Vertical Garden explores growing plants in small spaces; The Miniature Garden delights children; The Courtyard connects gardens with lavender, herbs and flowers. Enjoy our free farm tour by draft-horse-drawn wagon, with special music; walk the trails."

In addition to the tour and various plants for sale, they also offer demonstrations (composting, wreath-making, holly growing, etc...) and activities for children such as learning to transplant seeds for winter. 

Its seems to be a family business, the day I visited the people on scene were, I assume, the son and daughter of the owners. Although they were very nice and accommodating, they didn't seem to know a lot about the plants and herbs they were selling. At one point the son approached the daughter with two plants asking her to identify them for a potential customer, and the daughter had to call the owner and describe the plants over the phone to get an answer.

Although I didn't get a chance to tour the gardens, I spent about 45 minutes in their gift shop among their various wares which includes Amish furniture, crystals, ceramics, home-made soaps, beeswax candles, essential oils, potpourris, muslin bags, etc...

While there I was able to purchase a beautiful Tiger's Eye Crystal Point, (at  left) a Hematite Crystal Point, and a medium sized bag of dried Lavender (see photo above). I even found an authentic old-fashioned witch-ball! The prices were very reasonable and I only wish that I had had more money to spend that day. I regret that I left my camera in the car because I would love to have been able to show you more pictures of this beautiful place. A Knot in Thyme is defiantly a place that I will return to again and hopefully with more money! 

Carolina Dean


More Information

A Knot In Thyme
4233 Degraff Rd.
Oak Harbor, WA 98277

aknotinthyme@verizon.net
http://www.aknotinthyme.com


Directions: Located 2.9 miles south of Deception Pass or 4.2 miles north of the Oak Harbor Navy jet display. From SR 20 turn west onto DeGraff Rd. The Farm is the first place on the right.


No comments: