Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Out & About: Conjure in the Community

One of the things that I like about living on our island is the fact that there is a Naval Base here. What that means is that not only are there folks here from all over the United States, but also from all over the world! Working with the public, I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to meet Shamans, Priestesses, Pagans, Wiccans, a practitioner of Voodoo, general magickal practitioners, and even one lady versed in some form of Filipino Witchcraft. Through these relationships and chance meetings I've have been lucky enough to learn a great deal about a lot of different magickal traditions often trading spells, recipes, and techniques.

On the flipside, I have also had the unfortunate luck to meet a few narrow-minded individuals who labeled me a devil-worshipper, several invitations to different churches, and more "I'm going to pray for yous" than I can shake a stick at. For the most part, the good outweighs the bad.

Some of the people I've met were open about their spiritual beliefs, proudly wearing their pentagrams around their neck, esoteric tattoos, or traditional clothing indicative of their spiritual path. Others, however, were much more subtle in how they expressed their spirituality. There were a number of times when someone reached in their pocket and pulled out a handful of change along with a high john root, or I spied a lady with a mercury-dime ankle bracelet or something other. In another instance I was in the right place at the right time when two older Jewish ladies ran into each other at a local store I where I was working. I giggled to myself as they complimented each other on how well they looked ending their sentences with the phrase kenahara!

I have recently observed other signs that magic  is afoot on the island. Not too long ago I found a burned out tea-light near an intersection with a petition under it written on pink paper. I was tempted to pick it up and see what it said, but I decided to let it be. In another instance, I was driving to work one morning when I happened to notice a paper bag folded neatly and sitting in the middle of a crossroads! 

Just yesterday, I stopped in the grocery store on my way home. While waiting in line to check out, the lady in front of my reached in her bra to pull out her debit card (because apparently that's where women keep them) and a little red mojo bag accidentally fell out! She snatched it up in the blink of an eye and said "You didn't see that, you hear?" to the cashier. She turned to look towards me, but I quickly pretended to be scanning the magazine headlines as I unconsciously stuck my hand in my pocket to touch my own mojo bag......

The lesson here is, the next time you are out and about pay attention to the people and things going on around you because you just might make a friend or at the very least learn something new along your journey!

Happy Hoodooing

 

2 comments:

AmethJera said...

As we know, folk magick is still the norm in many cultures. There is nothing strange or abnormal about it because it's a natural part of life. People didn't study magick, they grew up with it all around them. Because of the diversity of the Triangle we have that sort of mixture of traditions her also...it's one of the things I love about this area of North Carolina.

alexisaura said...

And sometimes, you will notice that store owners have altars hidden as well in their shops.
Usually high above on the wall close to the ceiling or on the ground.