Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Book Review: Altars by Denise Linn


Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life

  • Author: Denise Linn
  • Hardcover: 160 pages
  • Publisher: Wellspring/Ballantine
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0345434463
  • ISBN-13: 978-0345434463

Description: Making and using a home altar is a tradition that anyone can follow, regardless of philosophical or religious beliefs. A home shrine not only brings a sacred energy into your environment, but in the deepest sense it provides a focal point for you to connect to the sacred space within yourself. An altar within your home can assist your journey toward healing, and self-integration and can help you find the courage to face life's challenges. 

Review: I found this book in the thrift store about a year and a half ago when the title caught my eye. I found the subject matter interesting but what really held my attention were the numerous and  beautiful pictures that accompanied the text. 

The author does a fantastic job of explaining the basic concepts of altars, different types of altars (love, healing, marriage, ancestors, etc....). In addition, she explains in simple and easy to understand language the basics of where to place various altars, what items to put on them, and how to arrange these items in an aesthetically pleasing manner.  Finally, she provides a few rituals for blessing and consecrating your altar and making it a true place of power and meaning for the individual.

While I like about this book is that it is not written from the perspective of any one religion, or any religion at all for that matter. Instead, it is written from a generic spiritual perspective and therefore the guidelines in Altars can be used by Christians, Wiccans, Witches, Pagans, Spiritualist, Buddhist or anyone walking a positive spiritual path. As someone with several altars in my own home, I found this book to be an invaluable guide which I credit with helping me flesh out the look and feel of my own altars as well as my attitude towards them. 

There really isn't anything bad that I can say about this book and I highly recommend it for anyone who is seeking to create a sacred space in their own home. 


Links:

No comments: