Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to Bless Your Reading Cloth (Tarot)

A Multi-Colored Reading Cloth
Loyal readers of this blog will recall that I have written about the importance of blessing your tarot-cards as well as given a ritual for this purpose. 

However, today I would like to talk to you about your reading cloth. A reading cloth is the cloth in which many readers wrap their tarot-cards, or other divination tool and which serves serves two main purposes. They are:
  1. To protect your tarot cards from dirt, dust, and negative energy when they are not in use. 
  2. To provide a clean, safe surface on which one's cards are laid during the course of a reading. 
Among the many superstitions surrounding tarot cards, one of the most often shared beliefs is that one's tarot cards "must be wrapped in black silk" and stored in a wooden box (never metal). The presumption here is that if you do not wrap your cards in black silk and store them in a wooden box, then they will get contaminated by ambient negative energy and no longer work properly for you.

In my personal practices, I have never fully done this myself. My cards have been stored in their original box, in wooden boxes, or even in a large cardboard box. The cloths I have used have been made of silk, cotton, and synthetic cloths and they have come in a wide range of colors; and I have not found that the manner in which I store my cards have had any major negative effect on my ability to read with them. 

It is my personal belief that such superstitions surrounding the tarot add to its mystique and that they are only valid if you believe in them. That is not to say, however, that those who wish to incorporate rituals into their process cannot or should not be allowed to do so. With that in mind, I'd like to share with you a method for which I prepare the cloths in which I store my tarot cards and lay them upon during readings.

  • a clean white handkerchief or napkin.
  • spring water
  • kosher salt
  • Psychic Vision Oil

First, take a clean white handkerchief and soak it in spring water to which you have added half a cup of kosher-salt and 9 drop of Psychic Vision Oil. Let the handkerchief soak in this salted water overnight, during a Full Moon.

The following day, gently ring out the handkerchief and place it outside where it will dry in the clean air and sunshine. When the handkerchief is completely dry, add a drop of Psychic-Vision Oil to the four corners and center of the cloth. Finally, wrap your tarot-card in your newly prepared cloth and store it away when not in use.

If you choose, you can enhance this ritual by the lighting of candles, incense, chanting, prayers, etc...but this is not required. Symbolically, you have surrounded your cards with a "white-light" of protection, in more practical terms, however, the residual salt left in the handkerchief will act as a shield against negative energy and the psychic vision will imbue the cards with a pleasant aroma which overtime your mind will associate with the practice of reading your cards enhancing your experiences with them. 

Blessings, 

Click here to read more about Tarot and Divination. 


No comments: