Prayer cloths are spiritual tools which have a long history in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) where they have been used for the purpose of healing. The Bible gives several accounts in which people where healed after touching the hem of Jesus’ clothes (See Matthew 9:20 and Matthew 14:35-37). Many modern practitioners also site Act 19:11-12 as evidence of the power of prayer clothes.
God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul; so that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
How Do Prayer Cloths Work?
And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
The faithful petitioner often holds such a cloth in their hands during the act of prayer in which they petition God for healing. It is their belief that their act of faith will result in the healing that they desire just as it did for those in the Bible. The cloth has no power in and of itself, but it rather an outward symbol of the individual’s faith in God’s infinite love. Without such faith, the prayer cloth is useless.
How to Use Your Prayer Cloth
Whether you are praying for yourself or another, you can simply hold the cloth in your hands. However, if you would like to be a little more symbolic you can place the cloth over the part of the body which is sick or injured while making your prayer or petition.
Nonetheless, to say that prayer cloths can only be used for healing would be like saying candles can only be used for healing spells, which we know is not true. Just as you can pray for anything that your heart desires, you can utilize a prayer cloth for any purpose. Some folks who use prayer cloths often have more than one and of those that do they may often differentiate them by their color. For example, they may have a red cloth for making petitions concerning love and romance; a blue one when praying for justice or peace; or an orange one when praying for the removal of obstacles.
Suggestions for Using Prayer Cloths
As tools of prayer, prayer cloths work very well with the praying of Psalms and other bible verses. Below are just a few suggestions for using prayer clothes and their corresponding prayers.
- Wrap your money, check book, or bank card up in a green prayer cloth and hold it in your hands as you make your prayer or petition (Luke 9:16) Afterward you may say something along the lines of "As Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes so that all were fed, so may my fortune be multiplied so that all my needs are met and more. Amen." When you are finished you may wish to leave the prayer cloth on your altar with your checkbook or bankcard inside.
- A blue prayer-cloth may be hung over the inside front door to protect the home from intruders and promote peace in the home. (Psalm 18:1-2; Psalm 133:1-3)
- A yellow prayer-cloth may be tied around your car's rear-view mirror for protection while traveling. (Psalm 28:6-7)
- A knot may be tied into a red prayer cloth to bind a lover to you.(Psalm 111)
- A knot may be tied into a black prayer cloth to cut off the path of Evil and send it back to its source (Psalm 52)
- A knot may be loosely tied into an orange prayer cloth and named after any obstacles that you feel is holding your back. The knot may then be untied as you make your prayer or petition. (Isiah 40: 1-5; Joshua 6:1-21)
- A white prayer cloth may be tied around the head to be rid of troublesome thoughts (Psalm 39:12-13)
- A green prayer cloth may be placed over one's resume or application, sprinkled with salt while making your prayer or petition. It may then be carried in one's pocket when looking for work. (Psalm145:14-21)
- A yellow prayer cloth may be tied around the wrist (for writers) or neck (for speakers) to promote inspiration and eloquence (Psalm 45:1-2)
- A white prayer cloth may be held to the heart to draw out sin and seek forgiveness (Matthew 6:9-13)
- Fold your prayer cloth into a triangle. Place candles dressed with Attraction Oil at the three points and place a symbol or a petition describing what you want in the center of the triangle. Sprinkle attraction sachet powder over the symbol/petition and state your petition or prayer. When you are done, allow the candles to burn out, fold the petition with sachet powder up in your prayer cloth and store it in a safe place. (Psalm 23)
Prayer clothes have a long history of use in the Abrahamic religions. They have no power in and of themselves but rather are symbols of the individuals faith in a loving God. They represent a covenant between God and his believers in which anything that the petitioner asks of from God with complete faith that it shall come to pass will be given to them. As tools of prayer, prayer-cloths work very well with the praying of Psalms and other bible verses and can be used in a variety of ways.